Sunday 29 January 2012

See what's new in Furniture for 2012

January is a busy month in the world of design with many trade shows to excite Interior Designers and get us pumped up for the year ahead.  One of the shows I recently attended just outside Toronto was TCHFM - The Canadian Home Furnishings Market and here is my review from the show:

Every year Pantone releases their colour forecast trends in both fashion and home decor.  Over the past couple of years we have been moving towards oranges and other vibrant hues that add wild 'pops' of colour and work especially well with the now popular neutral gray.  


The Pantone colour of the year for 2012 is Tangerine Tango.  'Tangerine Tango is a spirited reddish orange that continues to provide the energy boost we need to recharge and move forward.'  Although this tangerine in the photograph above is not as red or intense, I still found it to be vibrant, refreshing and indicative of the current colour trend.

Industrial inspired - notice how the gray comes alive with the orange backdrop.  


Outdoor furniture today is stylish and fun so there is no excuse for boring backyard decor.
Continuing with the gray's and punches of colour, this modern outdoor patio set (above) is from American Home and Patio Company.  Materials used for outdoor furniture should be durable, made to withstand various weather conditions and most importantly be easy to clean.

This unique table pictured below is one I was especially drawn to because of the mix of old and new styles. The modern table top is a gray stained wood while the base is clearly an antique design with curved legs and a caned bottom shelf.

From their 'Old Pine Wood Collection' series, I fell in love with this rustic piece (below) from van Dam International Trading Inc. When I eventually move to the country into my dream farm house my desire is to have an item of furniture like this to greet guests as they enter the mudroom.  The space will need to be large with high ceilings to accommodate this grand beauty!


Moving now from the country to a more sophisticated style of decor, these hanging pendants are truly elegant.  I'm thinking that they would add just the right amount of shimmer to any room.


More 'bling' for your buck....

M&L Art Furniture Makers Ltd.

This Cinderella carriage bed is magical.  I love the lanterns fixed to the sides and the sparkly buttons as accents on the head board.  Any little girl would have sweet dreams in this fairytale bed.



Dog lovers may go barking mad for this whimsical porcelain poodle lamp!

This Art deco chair with a glittery, classic image of Audrey Hepburn would be a well suited and glamourous addition for a chic, contemporary walk in closet.

I did think the upholstering could've been pulled tighter and finished with more care.


Nature inspired lamps with plenty of textural interest

Lastly, my post would not be complete if I didn't mention at least one item with British influence and flare!  Here is one of my favourites that I wish I had a room for in my house.

The Union Jack is dominant within Canada and is incorporated on the flags of Ontario, BC and Manitoba.

Europe often sets the scene for many trends, from designer fashions and colours to  home decor.  My friend and fellow blogger Lorrie Shirton wrote a post last year titled   'The British Invasion'. It's worth a read as it re-affirms British influences  are world wide and very much a part of what we Canadians love!

Tomorrow I am looking forward to attending the CGTA - Canadian Gift and Tableware Association.  It has more of the items you see in boutiques including fashion accessories like jewellery and handbags as well home decor items.  Upon my return I will share with you more photos of what I consider  to be 'delicious decor worthy'.  Stay tuned!   


No comments:

Post a Comment