Thursday 22 December 2011

Nature Inspired ideas to decorate for the Holidays

I frequently talk about upcycling and bringing the 'outdoors in'.  This is not only because there is something spectacular about natural beauty that I believe cannot be surpassed by anything else, but it is also the way of the future.  In order to save on our resources we need to work with what we already have so items are not being unnecessarily produced.

I took this photo, sorry for the glaring reflection of the dull sky!
This window display at Centro Garden on Brant Street in Burlington showcases the simplicity of natural elements.  There was a similar display at one of the en suite bathrooms at the Holiday House Tours with birds perched upon the branches, but unfortunately I was unable to take pictures so I cannot show you. grrr...

These would look sweet next to a fireplace

Last year I used these thicker birch branches in my outdoor display but decided on tiny, thinner branches for my plants this year instead.  It all depends on how you feel at the time and how you want your planters to look.

My birch branches are actually black with silver sparkles, but from the photos you can't see that.  In the evening we have blue and green spotlights on them which really show the shimmery silver.  My candy canes in the right planter appear to be lost, I prefer the larger ball ornaments but thought I would try something different.  Next time I will also use larger ornaments.

I bought one bunch of greenery from Holland Park but for the rest I managed to find for free in my own yard.  There were large pine branches that had fallen out of tall trees with all the wind we had a few weeks ago.  The cedar fillers came from my own backyard where my cedars needed a trimming anyway, so they were relatively inexpensive to make.  Next year I may add little white lights to really make them shine!


Bringing the outdoors in. A bit busy for my liking, but I like the idea.
I found these photographs on my search for birch branches and thought they were different.  What do you think of the picture on the right with the natural wood branches hanging from the ceiling?  I think this fixture is very cool.

Look at the rugged texture provided by these natural vases

This will probably be my last posting before Christmas as we are all busy seeing friends and family over the holidays.  I wish you all a very Merry Christmas and ask that you be safe, especially when driving.  I don't know about you, but I love a white Christmas and am worried that its not looking hopeful at this point.  I will put a polite request in to Santa when I see him next and keep my fingers crossed!  All the best to you and your families this holiday season and thanks for reading.


No comments:

Post a Comment